Tuesday, April 28, 2009

PLAN B

We spent most of the day yesterday reading about the Swine Flu and worrying about how it might effect our travel. We read that in China they're already taking temperatures of those arriving from the areas that have reported cases of the Swine Flu. We made the decision yesterday that the kids are not going to be joining us on our trip to China. The more of us traveling......The higher the risk that one of us will develop a fever and get quarantined. I can tell you right now who it would be.....Our 8 year old son. Our son suffers with TERRIBLE allergies and I have been worried sick about even taken him to China, because of his allergies. His allergies are so much worse in the Spring and Summer months. He also seems to pick up every little bug that comes his way. This trip is going to be stressful enough without worrying about one of the kids getting quarantined. I don't know if this whole Swine Flu stuff is going to blow over (God, I hope so), but we're too close to travel not to make the decision now. Once we send our money into our agency.....It's non refundable.

The kids really weren't as upset about staying home as I thought they would be. H is happy that we decided to buy her the new computer she has been wanting for a graduation/helping out while we're gone present. Our 14 year old son would have liked to have gone, but totally understands that his younger brother would end up getting us quarantined. =) And our little 8 year old.....Is happy that we're bringing him home lots of presents. I feel like we have made the best decision for our family.

J and I have also decided to skip Beijing. We don't want to be gone from the kids any longer than necessary. This isn't a vacation......It's a mission to bring home our girl. We're planning on taking everyone back to China when Ava is older.....We will tour Beijing then. Right now, I just want to bring my daughter home. Period.

6 comments:

kc said...

wow -- you are constantly on a roller coaster - it's like the runaway train and Disney -- never know what you are in for around the next curve -- You guys are troopers!

And, now, onto graduation ceremony!

Lynn said...

Your post just brought tears to my eyes... none of this journey has been a 'vacation' has it?

Praying that they contain this thing and that you are safe during your 'mission'!

Helen said...

That sounds like a very sensible decision. I hope you're able to avoid any flu while you're away!xx

Dawn and Dale said...

I agree Lisa...I think your family has made the best decision for you situation at the moment! I know it's going to be hard to be away from your kids but it really would be so much harder if anyone was ever quarantined there!

I can't even imagine how stressful it must be hearing all the reports just as you are ready to go get your baby girl!! I'm praying everything will go smoothly for you!

Daniella said...

I think your plan sounds perfect - your doing the right thing. Without any swine issues and just talking oh over the last 3 years - we have started with our son (who was 6 when we started) was coming for sure and then no he is not coming since I'm going alone with out my dh - what if he gets sick came into play - again this was all without the swine flu issue - I couldn't agree more, your mission is to get your girl home :)

C's Mom said...

Totally get it, mama.

#*$& swine....they keep coming up.